I’m not exactly a Hayden Panettiere groupie. Truth be told,
I never saw the TV series for which she was best known: Nashville and Heroes.
Yes, I watched her childhood performance in Remember the Titans, but
couldn’t tell you anything about it. So I was surprised by the outpouring of
public grief that has followed Panettiere’s sudden death this past week at the sadly
early age of 36. I read with great interest that—following a broken engagement,
severe post-partum depression, and a long sad history of substance abuse—Hayden
had published in May of this year a memoir titled This Is Me: A Reckoning. In
it she owned up to a difficult coming-of-age and an ongoing struggle with
mental health issues.
All this meant something to me because, while writing for
the Hollywood Reporter, I had interviewed a newly eleven-year-old Hayden
(and her mom) for a special “showbiz kids” issue that featured the young actress
as “one to watch.” We spoke on the telephone, and both mother and daughter
sounded intelligent and serious about the complexities of a life lived on
soundstages. Mom Lesley, once an actress herself, talked knowingly about
casting sessions and about gauging her daughter’s comfort level when she was
introduced to challenging material. Lesley clearly saw herself as a serious
protector of Hayden’s physical and mental well-being.
Hayden, who began her career doing commercials when she was
a mere 8 months old, seemed to be thoroughly enjoying her on-set adventures.
She proved herself a trouper, even when expected to perform difficult stunts
like (in an historical drama called The Affair of the Necklace) jumping
out of a moving carriage while carrying a heavy pretend-baby on her back. When
we spoke, she seemed well aware that as she matured there would be new
expectations to manage. Said she, “I’m sure when the kissing scenes come along,
I’ll be very uncomfortable.” Giggling, she speculated on what it must be like to
smooch in front of the cameras, with a director on hand to call the shots.
I asked how well she fit into her home environment when she
was not busy filming. She admitted that having friends was a bit complicated:
“They judge me by my acting and not by me.” Nonetheless, “I don’t think of myself as
anybody special. I think of myself as just another kid.”
When writing my article about showbiz kids like Hayden, I
consulted with Dr. Charles Portney, a psychiatrist who focused on adolescents.
In his SoCal practice he treated many former young actors who were now finally
able to speak for themselves. In some cases, patients who had played the role
of crime victims suffered years later from “delayed onset” trauma. Another
danger, he told me, was that kids might come out of their Hollywood experience
“precocious and cynical. It’s too big a dose of reality at too young an age.”
In the long term, they “can have problems, because your childhood is supposed
to prepare you for adulthood.”
Dr. Portney made clear that “there are many [showbiz]
parents who try very hard to do a good job.” Still, you can only protect your child up to a point. In the long run,
showbiz kids are “oriented toward giving a performance, not preparing for
adulthood.” When kids are too precocious, it’s at the expense of normal
childhood experiences. This can affect future romantic and intimate
relationships.
Some young actors, whether through good parenting or good luck,
survive beautifully: look at Jodie Foster or Ron Howard. For Hayden Panettiere
and others, though, truly adult coping skills are delayed until too late.
No comments:
Post a Comment